Printable Information For You
HOW TO BE YOUR OWN BEST FRIEND
Shellie Gretah Fraddin, PhD.
Health Coach, Motivational Speaker and Published Author
Specializing in Aging Gracefully Programs & Services
HANDOUT - HOW TO BE YOUR OWN BEST FRIEND
- We spend a lifetime putting others before ourselves, (being selfless).
- Notice the mental, spiritual and physical health of those who are selfless,
- We disappear into those we love, entwining ourselves in their happiness and their well-being.
- We rise to the occasion for him, her, them and yet somehow fail to do this for ourselves.
- We are often our own worst critic
- When we’re selfless society rewards us.
- When we’re self-loving, sometimes interpreted as selfish, we are punished.
- When we’re self-loving , we are rewarded with a long, happy and healthy life.
Learn to treat yourself the way you’d treat your closest confidante
Master the art of your own life instead of expecting your partner, children, job,
colleagues or friends to complete you.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO BE YOUR OWN BEST FRIEND?
You will get to know yourself better
You will be your own cheerleader
You will love yourself unconditionally
You will be more honest with yourself
You will be more gentle with yourself and less critical
You will get to know yourself better, what makes you happy
You will love and respect yourself more readily
You will become more honest with yourself
You will be gentle and kind with yourself
You’ll know where to look to find long lasting and real happiness
You’ll be able to appreciate moments of solitude
You’ll be able to make better decisions
You’ll be able to have more respect for yourself
You’ll be able to stand up for yourself
You’ll be comfortable to follow your passions
You’ll feel free, more independent and less dependent on others
You’ll be able to enjoy your own company
You’ll be able to have healthier relationships
1. Read/Listen daily to:
Louise Hay- Youtube, 50 minutes of positive affirmations to change your attitude
Louise Hay- Youtube, Self-love: Learn to Love Yourself
Wayne Dyer- Youtube,101 Ways to Transform Your Life
Les Brown- Youtube, Ways To Take Care of Yourself Everyday
2. Make a list of your strengths and weaknesses
3. Become self sufficient and less dependent on others by spending time alone and spend quiet time asking yourself :
What are you feeling today?
What can I do to make you happy today?
What do you need/want?
4. Keep a gratitude journal and write every night before bed
5. Write down your thoughts and feelings every morning in a special notebook
6. Build an inner support system (healthy food, spend time in nature, meditate, sleep 7-8hrs/day¸ gratitude lists and daily exercise, drink lots of clean water)
7. Build an outer support system (healthy, nourishing friends, job/co-workers with mutual caring and respect, a home and car that takes care of you)
8. Visualizing, imagine and dream
9. Create a vision board, treasure map of what you want to manifest
10. Take a day off and do whatever your heart desires.